Our suggestions for a memorable day out
CHURCH OF SANT MIQUEL
The church of Sant Miquel, in old Gothic style, was built by the Christian settlers after the Catalan conquest of 1229.
Caves of Campanet
Tel. 971 516130
The caves of Campanet were discovered in 1945 by workers digging a well.
They have an average depth of 50 m, an area of approximately 3,200 m2, and an open area of 16,000 m2. The length of the tour is 400 m.
The “Coves de Campanet” contain several tiny lakes, and are renowned for the fineness and whiteness of their formations, such as in the so-called Sala Romàntica or Romantic Chamber. This chamber is the largest in the cave (50m long and 10m high). Other characteristic spots in these caves are:- Capella de la Verge, Els Enamorats, Sala del Llac, Castell de les Fades, Sala de la Palma, Cascada Sonora, l’Elefant Blanc.
The caves are open Apr-Sep daily 10am – 7pm and Oct-Mar daily 10am – 6pm.
Monastery of Lluc
About 20 miles (32km) beyond Soller, after a precipitous drive through the Serra de Tramuntana in the north of the island, is the remote mountain village of Lluc. The valley in which it is situated has been an important place of pilgrimage since the 13th century. Lluc became one of Majorca’s most sacred sites when a shepherd boy discovered a dark wooden statue of the Virgin in a cleft in a rock. The miraculous statue returned to its cave three times before being placed in its own chapel. Thousands of pilgrims and tourists visit it every day and make offerings to the Virgin. On Sundays a traditional boys’ choir gives a concert in the chapel at 11am in the monastery.
The name of Muro comes from the Mozarabic and Castilian languages, meaning a wall.
Nearby are many prehistoric sites and also several caves that were inhabited in prehistoric times. Roman tombs have also been found in the area at Es Fiters.
In ancient times, Muro was inhabited by a prosperous Jewish community. Many of its inhabitants were moneylenders and doctors who were given privileges for their contribution during the Catalan conquest. In 1232 the Count of Empúries received this land for having supported King Jaime I when conquering the island.
At Can Simó, a property dating from the XVIIIth century, is a museum of local ancient tools and crafts.